If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Book Review: That's What Friends Aren't For By Jim Benton

That's What Friends Aren't For
(Dear Dumb Diary #9)
By Jim Benton

Dear Dumb Diary,

So now I'm friends with Angeline. This is automatic friendship, and I have to just accept it and make the best of things. 

See, if I objected, then Aunt Carol might divorce Angeline's uncle, sending both of them tumbling into a deep pit of depression for the rest of their lives, and Angeline could wind up feeling so guilty that she would have to go be locked up in an old dirty insane asylum for years and years, and Stinker's puppies could grow up not knowing both their parents --- and I couldn't live with myself for doing something like that to a puppy.
Goodreads Button
Available At:
| Amazon | B&N | iBooks |

My Review:

What a throw back this book turned out to be! I can see where my particular flavor of humor started off. This is as sarcastic and funny as any middle grade book can be without going too far. This series was a big part of my childhood and it was awesome to read it as an adult. I can see where my twisted self first started appearing.

Jamie Kelly is all kinds of weird and her random theories make her all that much more entertaining to read about. She's in grade school and during that period of her life, she's still discovering who she is and what friends are really there for. This isn't a heartfelt story nor does it strive to be anything like that. It's a humor filled oddity that has found its place in my shriveled up heart. 

I would recommend this series to the end of the world and back. That's probably nostalgia talking, but it's an entertaining and quick read! The drawings were adorable and on point with the story.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Of course I can't really say that, I can only write it. But I'm writing it totally sarcastically and rather meanly."

"I treasure how the same people and things make us both want to barf."

"I do call her my friend, the same way I call them my socks or my infection. Nobody would ever suggest that the infection belongs to itself."

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...